Thursday, April 23, 2009

Learning to Paint


















Garden Gate by Richard Edde

I like to call myself an artist, but I don't really know what that means. My passion is oil painting, landscapes mostly. I am largely self-taught although through the years I have had three teachers all of whom imparted certain gifts.

Early on I realized you can't learn to paint from reading books. Oh, you can learn the Rule of Thirds, linear and atmospheric perspective, that sort of thing. But just as one can't learn to play tennis by reading about it, you can't learn how to paint unless you actually paint.

In the beginning I read every book on painting the library had which was literally hundreds. I would go back home and try to emulate what I had just read but it almost always failed. Until I found my first art instructor, Harlow. He would say, "here is how you make a cloud, see?" and I would then imitate his brushstrokes. After Harlow found a job as an illustrator I discovered Martha, who was a graduate student in Art History and was willing to give my private lessons. She showed me how to make water look like water, rocks look like rocks, etc . She unlocked the secrets behind making a painting resemble nature which was what I wanted. I am forever in her debt.

As the years went by I adapted what I had learned from them and began to paint in my own style. I would never have made the progress I did, however, without them saying, "here is how you do this; let me show you."

I am sure they have no idea the profound impression they had on my artistic development. We have all moved on with our lives and no longer communicate with each other.

I do know I will never forget them.

Just paint it!.

No comments:

Post a Comment